Mission Inn Hotel and Spa
The Mission Inn is considered to be a hotel that is a historic landmark which is located within Riverside, California. However, it is made up of many different types of architectural styles, and it is also considered to be the largest building that is mission revival styled that is located within the United States. The Mission Inn is also a long-standing member of the Historic Hotels of America, which is a program that is officially ran by the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
As of now, the owners of Mission Inn are Kelly and Duane Roberts. Kelly serves as the Chief Operating Officer and Vice Chairman of the Mission Inn and happens to oversee the daily operations of the hotel.
It was during 1876 that Mission Inn Hotel started out as a boarding house made of adobe that was called Glenwood Cottage that was built by Christopher C. Miller and the first paying guest arrived. Then during 1880, Frank Miller had purchased the land and hotel from his father. It then became a full-service hotel during the 1900s because of the warm climate and citrus boom, which attracted a lot of wealthy investors and travelers from Europe and the Eastern Coast. It was during 1902 that the name was changed to Glenwood Mission Inn and began to build more until his death in 1935.
The overall vision for the eclectic style was taken from many different influences, styles, revivals and periods. Some is from Mission Style, some is Spanish gothic, Spanish colonial, Moorish revival, renaissance revival, Spanish colonial revival, and Mediterranean revival type of architecture. Each section is a bit different which created an intricately built and complicated structure. It has narrow passages, medieval styled clocks, numerous windows and patios, minarets, flying buttresses, exterior arcades, 5-story rotunda, castle towers, pedestrian sky bridge, Mediterranean domes and a Cloister wing that has its own catacombs, as well as other types of features. This construction took 30 years to complete and Miller traveled all around the world collecting many items that would be put on display within the hotel.
Frank Miller had passed in 1935 and the Inn proceeded under the administration of his daughter Allis and her Husband DeWitt Hutchings, who passed on in 1956. The Inn at that point experienced a progression of proprietorship changes as well as some of the more seasoned rooms were changed over to flats and utilized as dormitories for UC Riverside. In the mid-1960s, that St. John’s College had considered purchasing this hotel as an area for the new western campus yet relinquished arrangements when John Meem had donated some land located in Santa Fe.
Now, the Mission Inn is part of the AAA Four Diamond Historic society and has continued to reflect the original feelings that were made by Frank Miller. This hotel has a lot of upscale dining options, Kelly’s Spa, museum, outdoor pool, as well as a fitness center.
Under the management of the Roberts’ the Mission Inn has won many awards during the years that they have owned it. They also made seasonal celebrations like the Pumpkin Stroll and Festival of Lights.